When I Grow Up Evaluation

When we first started the rehearsal process for the musical, we began by simply reading through the script to get a feel for all the characters, and we then held auditions as a class so we could decide what characters we would like to play. We also used this as an opportunity to experiment different ways we could play various different characters. This helped us to improve our characterisation skills throughout the rehearsal process.

During the rehearsal process, people shared ideas about what they felt they could do to improve their acting skills with their characters. This involved experimenting various ways lines could be delivered, in order to find the way that was most effective. This was done by filming ourselves saying a chosen line in two different ways, and seeing what way worked better. This helped me as I was able to figure out, using the scene as a whole, how my character would be feeling, and how they would be behaving as a result.

I feel one thing that went well in the rehearsal process was that we explored ideas given by anyone in the cast to see if they worked well in the performance. This was helpful because we had various ways of ideas that could have been effective. 

I really enjoyed rehearsing and performing the musical because I was able to lean a lot of new things, and I was able to improve my characterisation skills. Rehearsals helped me structure ideas for future characters that I could play, and how I could make the characters believable.

I think what went well for me was that I was able to portray the two different sides of the character. In the first half of the musical, my character was a very funny, energetic person. However in the second half, he was much more serious and down to earth. I feel like I portrayed this difference very well through my body language, facial expressions and speech. I feel like because of this there was a very clear difference between the two personalities. I also feel like this was portrayed through my characters relationship with other characters. However I feel like i could have improved this more if I exaggerated the personality traits and included more.

I feel like another thing I did well at was delivering and projecting my lines throughout the performance. People were able to hear at the back of the theatre. However I still feel like I could have projected them further and make them clearer. This could be done by warming up my voice as well as my jaw so I can open my mouth to be able to project a stronger sound.

After watching the video of the performance I feel like I could have improved my characterisation in certain scenes of the performance as I could see more of me than my character in certain scenes. This could have been done if I had focused on rehearsing characterisation as well as memorising my lines throughout the whole rehearsal process. I feel I could have also improved if I had focused more on my costume to help me relate more to my character. For example, in the very first scene, I feel like where I was focusing so much on not being myself, as well as my lines, that I ended up showing characteristics of myself more than my character.

I could have also improved my stage presence, as I noticed I tend to move around a lot while on stage, which ruins my characterisation, as well as drawing the audiences attention away from the rest of the scene.

One moment during the rehearsal process which took a lot of workshopping, is the moment after the song no one is alone, where my character and Jacks character hug after the song. This took a lot of work because our original idea was for the two to instantly hug. However, we realised that, the way the script was written, these characters had not seen each other in 10 months and were not on the best of terms. Therefore hugging instantly seemed very strange. So we then tried performing it with myself initiating the hug since will is the more optimistic character. We cut this as it was to similar to the first scene. So we then tried performing it with Will extending his arm for a handshake since Dan is the more formal character, however Dan the initiated the hug. The reason we wanted Dan to initiate the hug is because it helps to bring his personal story to an end, showing him to be more sensitive towards others.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Level 3 BTEC Performing Arts (UPPERS) Induction Project 2018